Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
Transit in the Park 2014
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is the Delaware Water Gap bus service for?
Free bus service is for all park visitors who are seeking to experience the natural beauty of the park. For bicyclists, canoers and bikers, the bus service will have a special trailer that can secure your bike or boat along the route.
2. What will be the days and hours of operation for the Delaware Water Gap bus service this summer?
Free bus service will operate on Saturday and Sunday from Memorial Day weekend (including Memorial Day), Independence Day and Labor Day Weekend (including Labor Day).
3. How can I get to the Delaware Water Gap using public bus service this summer?
There are many convenient ways to access the bus service this summer. Local residents of East Stroudsburg can catch the Delaware Water Gap Connector at Stroudsburg High School - refer to the schedule for proposed times (as of April 15, 2014). Regional and out-of-area visitors can catch the bus at the Park and Ride lot across from the Pennsylvania Welcome Center located off of Exit 310 from I-80. Visitors who enter "expanded amentity fee" areas via private vehicle are charged $10 per vehicle by the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Visitors who use the bus will not be charged.
4. What services and destinations will be served?
Buses will depart at desginated times from both the Martz Delaware Water Gap terminal headed north to Milford Beach and from the borough of Milford headed south. The launch and take-out points for kayakers and canoers that our service provides access to are Smithfield Beach, Bushkill Access, Dingman's Access and Milford Beach. Boaters can take out at Smithfield Beach, which will be served at varying times of the day. There are multiple bike and hike trailheads between Bushkill Access and Milford Beach.
5. What if I'm coming in from New York Metro but not bringing a bike or boat?
That's easy. There are many outfitters for kayaks, canoes and bikes along the route and you can use our service to get to the outfitters. They take care of all your needs (including transportation) from there.
6. Is Dingman's Falls Closed This year?
It will be open to the public on Friday, Saturday and Sunday each weekend throughout the summer. Check the park website at for more information.
7. What is the best canoeing and kayaking route in the park?
Other Things to Note:
- Parking and use of the lauch at Shawnee Inn is for guests of Shawnee Inn only.
- If you would like to comment on the service for 2014, please send an email to Rich Schlameuss.